The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct. 3
By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
On this day in 1994, one of the century's most infamous trials came to an end when O.J. Simpson was acquitted of murdering his estranged wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman.
On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln announced that a new national holiday, Thanksgiving, would be celebrated on the fourth Thursday of every November.
And on this day in 1849, the author Edgar Allan Poe was found delirious in a gutter in Baltimore, MD. It was the last time Poe, who had a history of drug and alcohol abuse, was seen in public before his death.
Happy birthday to – Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee (1962); No Doubt singer Gwen Stefani (1969); and singer Chubby Checker (1941).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. The Shrewsbury Woman's Club will be holding as part of its Friday, Oct. 5 meeting an “Antique Appraisal Day” with Bill Lapan, a certified appraiser.
2. Unfortunately due to low registrations, the Southborough Heritage Day Road Race scheduled for this Sunday, Oct. 7 has been cancelled.
3. Westborough will be holding a Special Town Meeting on Monday, Oct. 15. One of the articles to be voted on that night will be if the voters should approve funds for a new fire station.
4. The town of Shrewsbury is currently seeking a qualified person to serve on the town's Board of Assessors.
5. Here's a fun idea for this Saturday, Oct. 6 – a paddle trip along the Assabet River.
6. Did you know several local police departments now utilize social media? The Northborough, Southborough and Westborough police departments all have Facebook pages.
Westborough Police Chief Alan Gordon takes that even one step further – he posts a short clip of himself discussing important issues on the department's website each month.
Short URL: http://communityadvocate.com/?p=26937