The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct.24
On this day in 1901, Annie Edson Taylor became the first person, at age 63, to go over the Niagara Falls in a barrel.
On this day in 1926, magician Harry Houdini gave his last performance, in spite of running a fever of 104 degrees and suffering from acute appendicitis. He died a week later at the age of 52.
And on this day in 2005, Hurricane Wilma struck Florida, killing 35 people and causing $20.6 billion in damages.
Happy birthday to three actors – F. Murray Abrahams (1939); BD Wong (1960); and Kevin Kline (1947).
1. The Northborough Historical Society will hold its next monthly meeting Friday, Oct. 26, at 7:30 p.m. The evening's program will be “Yours for Humanity – Abby,” a one-woman play about Abby Kelley Foster, the 19th century Worcester abolitionist and women's rights activist, performed by Lynne McKenney Lydick.
2. SELCO is once again sponsoring the AMC Fearfest Red Cross Blood Drive Friday, Oct. 26, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Massachusetts Department of Mental Retardation's Glavin Regional Center in Shrewsbury.
3. The 2nd Annual Fashion Show, with fashions by Chico, will be presented by the Massachusetts Association of Insurance Women South Middlesex Chapter Friday, Oct. 26 at the Hudson Elks, 91 Park St., Hudson. For more information-
4. Marlborough will be holding a “household hazardous waste collection day” this Saturday, Oct. 26. For more information go to:
5. The advisory for Shrewsbury's Jordon Pond regarding algae levels has now been lifted but continues to be in place for Dean Pond. For more information go to the twin's website
6. The town of Hudson is in the planning stages for the next round of Block Grant Funding. Residents are also being encouraged to read the town's Community Development Strategy and take the Community Priority Projects Survey, which is due by Friday, Oct. 26.
Short URL: http://communityadvocate.com/?p=27690