The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct. 30
On this day last year the region was hit with a late October nor'saster that left many communities without power for up to a week.
On this day in 1991, the “perfect storm” hit the New England and Canadian coasts. The story of the fishing boat, the Andrea Gail, which was lost at sea in this storm, was chronicled in the best-seller, “The Perfect Storm” by Sebastian Junger.
And on this day in 1938, Orson Welles caused a nationwide panic with his broadcast of “War of the Worlds”??”a realistic radio dramatization of a Martian invasion of Earth. Millions of people around the country, who had turned into the radio broadcast a bit late after it had started, missed the opening announcement that it was merely a show and not an actual news event.
Born on this day – Henry Winkler (1945); Matthew Morrison (1978); and John Adams (1735).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. The Friends of the Northborough Library Annual Children's Book and Media Sale is scheduled to start Oct. 30 and run through Nov. 3. Call the library at 508 393-5025 to confirm.
2. Friday, Nov. 2, from 6 to 7:30 p.m., the Northborough Recreation Department will be sponsoring a “Stay Active Stay Healthy Sporting Sale” will be held in the Northborough Town Hall gym, 63 Main St. You can buy all sorts of gently used sporting goods and sporting clothes for a low price.
3. The Shrewsbury Woman's Club will feature a program, “Clutter Control” with humorist Dave Downs at its meeting to be held Friday, Nov. 2 at 12:15 p.m. http://communityadvocate.com/2012/10/19/shrewsbury-meeting-of-the-shrewsbury-womans-club-2/
4. After a few days of Sandy this might be a good thing to consider this Friday evening, Nov. 2 – a “Night of Comedy” sponsored by the PTO of the Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School. For more information go to:
5. Here's another fun idea for Friday evening, Nov. 2 – participate in a Bunco tournament and learn more about the fabulous Westborough giving circle, In Your Shoes.
6. Amazingly, no one was killed in a home explosion in Marlborough on Saturday, although one man was injured.
Short URL: http://communityadvocate.com/?p=27907