The C.A. six tips of the day for Nov. 1
Region ?Today is Thursday, Nov. 1, the 306th day of 2012.
In what seems crazy now, NHL goaltenders never wore masks in spite of the fact that pucks zoomed at them 90 miles per hour on a regular basis. But on this day in 1959, the Montreal Canadien's all-star goalie Jacques Plante said “enough is enough” and thus became the first NHL goaltender to wear a full face mask.
On this day in 1938, Seabiscuit enthralled a nation still coping with the depression and on the precipice of war when he defeated War Admiral in what many called “the match of the century” in horse racing.
And on this day in 1915, Parris Island, in Port Royal, South Carolina, was officially designated a US Marine Corps Recruit Depot.
Happy birthday today to – actress Jenny McCarthy (1972); music producer David Foster (1942) and champion golfer Gary Player (1935).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. Ok, so Halloween is over – that's means it's the official start to the December. holidays, right? Well, maybe if only to start thinking about helping others, like the Toys for Tots program. Here's info on a drop-off location in Westborough.
2. A bake sale and cookie walk will be held Saturday, Nov. 3, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., at Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church, 34 Prospect St., Shrewsbury.
3.? Also in Shrewsbury, Saturday, Nov. 3, St. Anne's Human Services will be holding a Holiday Fair. All proceeds received will benefit the Shrewsbury Human Services Food Pantry, located at St. Anne's Church. (Only cash will be accepted).
4. Here's an article about how you can purchase a lovely gift for the special lady in your life (or yourself!) and help children in dire need at the same time.
5. A very important holiday – Veterans Day – will soon be here. Northborough is commemorating this day with a special luncheon for local veterans to be held at the Senior Center Friday, Nov. 9. For more information ?
6. At times we tend to forget our local police and fire departments are not that busy because they are not in big cities. But when situations arise that are dangerous and moving fast, as it did in Westborough early yesterday morning, they are right there to get things under control.
Short URL: http://communityadvocate.com/?p=27993