The C.A. six tips of the day for Nov. 12
Region ?Today is Monday, Nov. 12, the 317th day of 2012.
Officially yesterday, Nov. 11, was Veterans Day. ?Many towns, including Westborough, are holding their commemorations today.
According to the United State Department of Veterans Affairs website, it was President Woodrow Wilson who in 1919 proclaimed that Nov. 11 would be commemorated each year to recognize the end of the “Great War” – World War 1. The day was first known as “Armistice Day.”
“To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…,” Wilson said.
In June 1954, Nov. 11th officially became a day to honor American veterans of all wars and thus became known as Veterans Day.
And in June 1968, the Uniform Holiday Bill (Public Law 90-363 (82 Stat. 250)) was signed ensuring that there would be three-day weekends for Federal employees by celebrating four national holidays on Mondays: Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Columbus Day.
Happy birthday today to actress Anne Hathaway (1982); notorious figure skater Tonya Harding (1970); and iconic gymnast Nadia Comaneci (1961).
Here are six tips for the day:
1. Congratulations to the Shrewsbury High School girls” hockey team who won the Central Mass. Div. 1 title Saturday!
2. A Blood Drive will be held Wednesday, Nov. 14 to benefit resident Chris Foy, who is currently battling Leukemia.
3. ConnectingPoint Church will be holding an event – “Surviving the Holidays” – designed to help you deal with the stress associated with this period of time that is coming up very soon. The meeting will be held Nov. 13, ?from 7 to 9 p.m., in the Leahy Conference Room at Marlborough Hospital.
4. The Friends of the Marlborough Public Library will present their “41st Annual Regional Juried Art Exhibition” Wednesday, Nov. 13 through Sunday, Nov. 18. in the Friends Art Gallery in the Bigelow Auditorium at Marlborough Public Library, 35 West Main St.
5. Seventeen faith communities in Hudson and Marlborough will be holding an interfaith Thanksgiving celebration on Thursday, Nov. 15.The public is invited to this event which will feature music, readings, and reflections, followed by refreshments and fellowship.
6. The Southborough Gardeners will present “The Holidays in Bloom with Sue Kaplan ?- ?Flower Arranging for the Holidays and Other Festive Occasions,” Thursday, Nov. 15.
Short URL: http://communityadvocate.com/?p=28338