|

Shrewsbury garage fire displaces four

SH fire 7.1.14 fire

Firefighters Dave Hodgerney and Shaun Weigold clean up and perform overhaul after the fire was extinguished.

Shrewsbury – Four people have been displaced, and two firefighters suffered minor injuries, after an early morning garage fire that officials say was started by the disposal of smoking materials near bags of mulch.

According to Fire Chief James Vuona, the home's residents were awoken by a neighbor who smelled smoke in the area. The cause of the fire was determined to be the outside disposal of smoking materials which ignited bags of mulch stored next to the garage. The fire spread up the side of the garage and into the attic space causing significant damage. The fire was quickly controlled by on duty fire personnel, Vuona said, and did not enter the living space of the home.

Two firefighters sustained minor injuries (a back strain and a nail into a hand). Both were treated at the scene by UMASS medical personnel but did not require transport to the hospital, Vuona said.

Fire Captain Aaron Roy was the officer in charge at the scene.

Short URL: http://communityadvocate.com/?p=51331

Posted by on Jul 1 2014. Filed under Byline Stories, Shrewsbury, Stories With Good Photos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply


- five = 1

Recently Commented

  • Suzen Chicco: Hi Jim, You have an interesting outlook. Where is the harm in educating oneself and others in all the...
  • Janet Matthews: Janet Matthews March 27, 2015 – 10:24 pm I have known Judy since I was a teenager. She has...
  • Janet Matthews: I have known Judy since I was a teenager. She has always been a gentle, lovely, special kind of...
  • It's Me: A bunch of politicians bending the truth and slapping each other on the back for a job well done forcing the...
  • Mike Scully: This shows the level of Economic Development we need in Grafton when most of the top 10 taxpayers are...